minimal pairs (was: PIE e/o Ablaut)

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 31 19:27:12 UTC 2000

>....  But believe it
> or not, linguists will still disagree on the phonemic status of sounds
> and different analyses may result in different numbers of phonemes
> claimed for a particular language.

Interestingly, this has come up before on the list even with reference to
English - and in particular, the phonemicity of voiceless /w/ ("where" etc,
in some dialects) and c-cedilla in words like "hue".

If you want a minimal pair, I offer:   hue ~ who;  but even this does not
guarantee phonemic status for the initial sound in "hue".

Peter