"lumpers"

Hans Holm Hans_Holm at h2.maus.de
Fri Mar 31 07:51:00 UTC 2000

Pat Ryan at march 31 wrote:

PR>For a (IMHO) very lucid discussion of the principles invloved in
PR>trees, I think some list-members might enjoy:

PR>Family Evolution, Language History and Genetic Classification by Ilia Peiros

PR>in

PR>Historical Linguistics & Lexicostatistics, edited by Vitaly Shevoroshkin and
PR>Paul Sidwell

PR>In addition, there are good discussions of glottochronology and
PR>lexicostatistics.

I would like to stress that no comparative linguist accepts any publication
combined with the names 'Shevoroshkin', Starostin, Bengtson, Ruhlen.....

These 'lumpers' do not have any competence in e.g. sound correpondences
nor in lexicostatistics at all.
Most list members discussing laryngeals in IE roots will not even react on
this 'recommendation'.

Regards
Hans J. Holm
D-30629 Hannover