*sr- roots in PIE (2)

Mon Nov 6 16:18:55 UTC 2000

	I remember hearing that in grad school
but the problem I perceive is that [I would guess that] this is based on
Mozarabic's perceived adaptation of Arabic phonology;
Arabic has /s, _S_, z, _Z_, s^/
and one suppose that Castillian apical /S/ would be perceived as Arabic
emphatic /_S_/, rather than /s^/

	Off the top of my head, and please correct me if I'm wrong, most of
these examples sibilants before /a, o, u/

[snip]

>>I'm curious about the occasional initial /s-/ > /s^, c^, x/ in various
>>Ibero-Romance words
>>e.g.
>>Spanish jabo/n < sapo:n-
>>Spanish chorizo, Port. chouric,o /s^owrisu/ < sauriculum
>>The easy way out would be to lay all of this at the feet of Basque
>>but what else can be said about this?

>It is often said that this is due to (Moz)Arabic influence.

>Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
>mcv at wxs.nl

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634