Pre-PIE as a PIE substrate?

Jim Rader jrader at Merriam-Webster.com
Wed Nov 8 17:07:44 UTC 2000

I'm not disputing your point about Basque--obviously, the
sociolinguistic pressures of Romance on Basque are not
comparable to the French/English relationship.  But one might
draw the conclusion from your post that the period during which
Anglo-French served as a source for English loans lasted two
centuries, when in reality it was at least twice as long, and many
loans and calques took place in the two centuries that Anglo-
French was "dying out."  Its gradual extinction as a first language
of the elite did not end its role as a vital auxiliary language, on a
par with Latin, in English society.

Jim Rader