Mutual Comprehensibility, Reconvergence

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Fri Nov 10 01:03:11 UTC 2000

        It used to be that, as far as I knew, the situation in the Danelaw
areas of England, where two dialects but recently separated began (in my
opinion) to reconverge, was unique.  However it has recently come to my
attention that a similar situation developed between Spanish and Portugese
in northern Uruguay, which is to say on the border with Brazil.  Is there
anyone out there who can tell me what the results of this were, without
demanding that I read Spanish?  (I suppose I could, but being lazy would
rather not.)

                                                    Dr. David L. White