"witch" and "warlock"

Christopher Gwinn sonno3 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 18:25:03 UTC 2000

> My books (most of which are old) have OE wicca < OE wic- < PIE
> *weik-, with four meanings, mostly having to do with "magic or
> sorcery" or "bending, twisting", and also related to "wych" and
> "willow."

> Is that tracing obsolete?  Have any articles on "witch" and "warlock"
> been published in JIES or elsewhere in the last twenty years?

Pokorny offers an alternative:
Ueik- "aussondern" which would give a suffixed Proto-Germanic *wikkan (thus
m.germ. wicken "zaubern" and wicker "zauberer, Wahrsager").

Calvert Watkins analysis is the most current, other than that I can't say
which is preferred by most Indo European scholars.

-Chris Gwinn