Motivating the Root Restrictions of PIE

Stanley Friesen sarima at friesen.net
Tue Nov 14 02:17:16 UTC 2000

At 11:39 AM 11/11/00 -0600, David L. White wrote:

>According to Lehmann, PIE shows three kinds of root restrictions.  Accepting
>for now the traditional interpretation and using "D" to represent any voiced
>plosive, "T" to represent any voiceless plosive, and "DH" to represent any
>voiced aspirate plosve, these are:

>                 1) no /DeD/
>                 2) no /TeDH/
>                 3) no /DHeT/

>correct, these restrictions (not to mention the /b/-gap) do not make sense.
>So here is one way (the only way I can see) that they could make sense.

>         1)  The voiced plosives were orginally not voiced but pharyngealized.

>         2) The voiceless plosives were orginally laryngealized (which is not
>            the same as glottalized).

>         3) The voiced aspirates were as traditionally posited, technically
>            murmured.

I suspect that a slightly different set of alternatives can cover most of
the same problems.

1. The traditional voiced plosives were actually voiceless unaspirated
plosives.
2. The traditional voiceless plosives were actually voiceless *aspirated*
plosives.
3. The traditional voiced aspirates were either simple voiced plosive or
voiced fricatives.

At the very least this avoids the typological issues.

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at ix.netcom.com