Questioning of the elite dominance theory

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Tue Nov 14 20:01:59 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tristan Jones" <Tristan at mail.scm-rpg.com.au>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 7:05 AM

[snip]

> I suddenly got this interesting thought.
> I think spread of languages has to do with Inclusive and Exclusive Elites
> thing, Inclusive Elites like the Roman Empire was allowed Conquered peoples
> to become part of elite as long as they adopted the conqueror's language and
> culture. Exclusive elites do not allow conquered people's to become apart of
> the elite such as White South Africa.

[Ed Selleslagh]

White South Africa is quite interesting: it was in a sense a Selectively
Inclusive Elite: it excluded blacks but in a certain way kind of co-opted the
so-called 'colored' people, many if not most of whom speak Afrikaans. It shows
that there is a lot of grey between black and white, figuratively speaking.

Ed.