Questioning of the elite dominance theory

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Fri Nov 17 22:28:02 UTC 2000

> << the Franks were critically (to their success in forging alliances with
> the Church) not Arians. >>

> -- correct. They were, in fact, still pagan at the time they set up shop
> in Gaul.  When they converted, it was to Catholicism.

        Upon further examination, only two of my secondary sources say
anything explicit about the matter, and they both say that the Franks were
pagans before converting to Catholicism.

1) Hoyt and Chodorow, "Europe in the Middle Ages", p. 72:

        [Clovis] had an inestimable advantage of being, with the rest of the
Franks, merely a heathen rather than a hated Arian heretic.

2) Cantor, "The Civilization of the Middle Ages", p. 110:
        Unlike the Visigoths, [the Franks] had not been converted by Arian
missionaries ...

    So at this point until and unless I see otherwise in some primary source
(is there any besides Gregory?), I am not going to believe it.  But if I
have perpetuated the errors of these scholars, I apologize.

                                                        Dr. David L. White