Elite dominance theory vs. Practicality

Tristan Jones Tristan at mail.scm-rpg.com.au
Sat Nov 18 00:01:29 UTC 2000

> I heard someone roll off 22 languages that reportedly were spoken
> in the general area of modern day Hungary during the first millennium AD.
> And of course the area of modern day Turkey may well have had similar
> diversity before Ottoman Turkish became the "universal" language.

22 languages in Hungary, come on Hungary is only the size of Indiana state,
22 languages is a lot for a small region like that

[ Moderator's comment:
  California was home to several dozen languages prior to European contact,
  as was the region of the United States called New England.  This is not at
  all unusual.
  --rma ]