Elamite

Anthony Appleyard mclssaa2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
Mon Nov 27 14:27:30 UTC 2000

 On 16 Nov 2000, Stanley Friesen (sarima at friesen.net) wrote:

> Difficult, but I am not sure it is impossible.  Did Classical Greek lack
> final tau's? If it had them, then it constitutes an example of a language
> that had this contrast.

Classical Greek did not have final {t}.
We can't tell with Mycenean (Linear B) Greek, as the spelling omits many
consonants which are at the ends of syllables.
But: Greek (1) {egraphe} = "he was writing" < IE *{eghrabhet}, but (2)
{graphe} = "write!" (imperative) < IE *{grabhe} without a final {t}. In
Classical Greek (1) adds a final n-ephelkoustikon if the next word starts with
a vowel or h-vowel, but (2) does not, as if that -n was altered from an
earlier -t derived from the old final consonant persisting in liaison.

The Greeks were capable of pronouncing final stops, as is shown e.g. in
Aristophanes: {op o:-op} as a spelling of a noise made while rowing a boat.