Turkish

Sat Nov 25 18:51:11 UTC 2000

	Aren't the Gaugaz [sp?] an Anatolian Turkish-speaking Christian
ethnic group in Ukraine, Rumania et al.?
	BTW: On maps I've seen references to Pomaks, Sanjaks & Nogays
(among others) in the Balkans. Are these Turkish groups, former
Turkish-speakers or local Muslims speaking Slavic languages?

>>> To what extent did replacement spread through Turkish controlled lands
>>> beyond Anatolia, depending on what you mean by Anatolia?

>> Not very greatly, as far as I know, but then I was only talking
>> about Anatolia.

>        It's dominant in European Turkey, not surprisingly, and occurs in
>various islands in Bulgaria, esp. in the northeast.  The Bulgarian perfect
>has apparently been remodeled as an inferentional through Turkish influence.
>(Because in many cases something like "It has snowed" is easily reconstrued
>(by a Turk anyway) as "Evidently it has snowed", "I infer it has snowed", or
>something of the sort.)  This is, I think, difficult to explain if Turkish
>was not at one time more common in Bulgaria than it has been more recently.

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women
Columbus MS 39701