Turkish (and Greek)

ewb2 at cornell.edu ewb2 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 28 13:05:58 UTC 2000

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Anthony Appleyard wrote:

> ... Re Greeks in Anatolia, in the 1960's or 1970's I read a UK scuba diving
> magazine article about Turkish sport scuba divers, and one of them was called
> Triyandafilidis, which is clearly modern Greek for "son of Trinity-lover".

...which is more likely to be Modern Greek for "thirty leaves"
(trianta + phylla), which now means "rose" (the flower). It's clear
in the spelling of the surname in Greek letters: Triantaphyllide:s.
"nt" is pronounced nd or just d.

On the other hand, 'Trinity' is triada, where d is pronounced
as the voiced interdental that so many contributors have been
writing about.

> On BBC TV (=UK TV) news from Kosovo during the recent Kosovo troubles I saw
> road signs in various languages including Turkish (e.g. {U"sku"b} for
> {Skopje}). Is there still an outlier of Turkish speech there, or what?

There is. There are thousands of Turkish-speakers (enough to support
publications and schooling) in Macedonia and (at least until the last couple of
years) in Kosovo.

Wayles Browne
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall 220, Cornell University