Turkish

Jim Rader jrader at Merriam-Webster.com
Tue Nov 28 20:37:21 UTC 2000

The Gagauz are concentrated mainly in what is now Moldova,
though there are small minorities in Romania and Bulgaria.  Their
language is quite close to Anatolian Turkish, but I believe it's lost
vowel harmony at least partially and has some other peculiar
features.

The Pomaci (or Pomatsi, plural of Pomak) are Bulgarian-speaking
Muslims living mainly in southern Bulgaria, if I recall correctly.  By
"Sanjaks" I assume you mean the 100,00-200,00 (?) Serbian-
speaking Muslims who live in the Sanjak of Novi Pazar, a district of
Serbia north of Kosovo and east of Montenegro.  These people
suffered persecution under the Milosevic regime; what their current
status is I couldn't say. The Nogay are a Turkic-speaking people of
the North Caucasus.  If there are any in the Balkans, I don't know
about it--Balkanologists on the list have anything to say?

Jim Rader