Lezgian and Arabic

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Nov 29 12:22:13 UTC 2000

Rick Mc Callister wrote:

> BTW: I also found a curious article on Avars in F & W
> stating that their descendents
> are "Lezghians [who speak] a language similar to Arabic"!!!

> Can anyone explain that?

This is nonsense. Even the medivial Arabic sources did never claim that
Lezgi(an) would be close or 'similar' to Arabic. The F&W entry is far
from being understandable. Lezgian languages belong to the East
Caucasian language group which as far as we can see (pace Starostin and
friends) does not have any living relatives around the world...

Wolfgang

--
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Schulze
Email: 	W.Schulze at lrz.uni-muenchen.de