Reference on Numbers of Saxons

Thu Nov 30 16:36:54 UTC 2000

	Are you only including words documented in written sources before
the Norman conquest?
	Scanning Buck and Partridge, I get the impression that there were
many more. Unfortunately, there's no information on attestation dates, etc.
	BTW: what percentage of Old English and Briton vocabulary consisted
of close cognates? If there were a high percentage, would this have been a
factor?

[snip]
>In Britain not only did the local Celtic and Romance speeches disappear, but
>the Anglo-Saxon that emerged after the conversion to Christianity was
>singularly lacking in both Romance and Celtic vocabulary.  About 14 Celtic
>loan-words in all, and no more Latin loans than the continental Germanic of
>the period.
[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634