Typology and the phonetics of laryngeals

Herb Stahlke HSTAHLKE at gw.bsu.edu
Wed Oct 4 17:07:45 UTC 2000

Going back to my original typological question, asked from
perspective of a linguist who doesn't do Indo-European, it is
precisely this set of fricatives that I find odd.  They do, of
course, line up by place of articulation with the palatalized
velar, velar, and labiovelar stop series, which makes them seem a
little more natural, but the resulting fricative series /s, x', x,
x^w/ is, as a fricative series, bizarre.  I looked through
Hockett's Manual of Phonology and couldn't find anything even
close.  Why no labial?

Herb Stahlke

Stanley Friesen wrote:

>So, my current "best guess" for the laryngeals is something like yours,
>/x', x, x^w/, or /h, x, x^w/.  (With /x/ being a *back* fricative, and /x'/
>or /h/ being less far back).

[ moderator snip ]

Then /x', x, x^w/ is, finally, the one set, i prefer.

[ moderator snip ]

Best wishes,
Alex Nikolaev