"nightmare" and "bugbear"

roslyn frank roz-frank at uiowa.edu
Sat Oct 7 00:03:26 UTC 2000

I was wondering if anyone could help me to identify articles that have
dealt with the etymology of 'nightmare' or 'bugbear'. I am interested in
finding articles that have been written on either of these two items as
well as more general articles dealing with the folklore and customs
associated with either concept.

In reference to the comparative studies, I would be most pleased to find
those that have examined the different phonological variants of this 'mare'
that are found in Germanic and Slavic. Celtic materials would also be most
welcome.

If you wish, you can reply to this request off the list.

Thank you,
Roz Frank
Roslyn M. Frank
Department of Spanish & Portuguese