*sr- roots in PIE (2)

proto-language proto-language at email.msn.com
Wed Oct 18 03:01:05 UTC 2000

Dear Rick and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Mc Callister" <rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu>
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2000 10:57 AM

> besides *sreu- "to flow" Watkins 1985 gives

> *srebh- "to suck, absorb" < ? *sreu- in the sense of "to (make) flow in" ?
> and also superficially resembles Arabic sh-r-b- "to drink"

[PR]
I believe that Arabic sh-r-b, 'to drink', is relatable to Egyptian S3b,
'meals, food', and that the basic meaning is '(movement down the) throat'.

I have found in my own Nostratic studies that Ar./Egy. sh = IE gw-/kw-.

Therefore, I believe that the underlying biliteral root corresponds to IE
*gwer-, 'swallow, throat'; and that a group of derivations like English
'grub' should be related to a presently non-acknowledged IE *gwrebh- rather
than the presently reconstructed *ghrebh-.

A key cognate in this context appears to me to be OHG gruoba, 'excavation,
throat'.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ec at ec hecc, vindga meipi a netr allar nmo, geiri vnda~r . . . a ~eim
mei~i, er mangi veit, hvers hann af rstom renn." (Havamal 138)

[ Moderator's note:
  If further discussion of possible Nostratic etymologies is desired, please
  move them to that mailing list.
  --rma ]