minimal pairs

Wed Oct 18 15:49:59 UTC 2000

[snip]
>I won't comment on the place names, but I will point out that the
>adjective 'blithe' has both pronunciations, with final [th] and
>with final [dh].  The pronunciation with [dh] is regular since
>the OE form was 'bli:the'.  The adjective 'lithe' is similar in
>all respects.

My impression is that US pronunciations for <blithe, Blyth, Blythe> are
regional
perhaps analogous to the greasy-greazy pronunciations in this one case

In Ohio, where I grew up, I only heard /blaiTH/
but in the South (South Carolina, Mississippi) I usually hear /blaiDH/

What is the usual British pronunciation?

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women
Columbus MS 39701