Pre-PIE as a PIE substrate?

Tue Oct 31 23:27:26 UTC 2000

>My question is: what would such a substrate be like?  What would one look
>for?  Thinking of other examples of where IE has folded over on itself, so to
>speak -- where one IE language exhibits a substrate of an earlier IE language
>-- where would one look for such a "pre-proto" substrate in PIE?  How would
>one separate "pre-proto" features from "proto" features, since both would
>ultimately be of the same origin?

It's an interesting question
On one hand,
there is Alt-Europaeisch hydronyms, toponyms, etc.
and on the other
there is the Lusitanian-Ligurian-Sorotactic-Mediterranean-"Other
Italic"-Illyrian-etc. continuum of substrate lexicon and toponyms of IE
origin

	Are these categories too frequently convenient tags for explaining
oddball lexicon?

	Larry Trask often mentions Basque being used as the rubbish bin of
unexplained Ibero-Romance etyma
	Etruscan sometimes serves the same purpose for Latin, even though
some of the vocabulary is claerly of IE origin; e.g. I saw a reference to
Tuscan dialect brenti "heather" that declared it to be from Etruscan, yet
there are cognate forms in Ibero-Romance and I'd guess that Irish fraoch is
also cognate

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women