Indo-European list resumes service 1 October 2000

Rich Alderson ALDERSON at toad.xkl.com
Fri Sep 22 19:44:50 UTC 2000

Dear readers,

I thank you all for your patience in the last months, when the Indo-European
list lay dormant due to circumstances beyond my control.  The server from
which the list originates was blacklisted as a spam haven, and I have had
to spend a great deal of time modifying the mail system to deal with that
fact, since it affects not only these lists, but e-mail in general for my
company.

At the same time, my professional responsibilities have blossomed, so that
I have often not had the time to respond to queries about the list, for
which I apologize.  I could not make a general announcement to the list,
for the same reasons which kept the usual traffic from going out.

I propose to start sending out the mailing list again as of 1 October 2000.
This message is intended to allow those who decide not to continue with the
list time to unsubscribe.

Finally, to remind everyone how this list is supposed to work, I include
the latest version of the policy statement sent out as a welcome to new
subscribers.  If you note differences from the reading when you first got
a copy, remember that we all have more experience with the list than we
did then.

Submissions for the list should be sent to

	indo-european at xkl.com

Business messages (vacation holds, unsubscription, and the like) should go to

	indoeuropean-request at xkl.com

Searchable archives of the list are available at the LinguistList.ORG web site:

	http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/indo-european.html

As a matter of policy, messages addressed to multiple recipients will not be
posted to the list, to avoid the problems created by postings which quote,
quite by accident, private messages from one list member to another.  All
postings to the list have a header

added to them to facilitate this policy.

A collegial atmosphere is encouraged:  Disagreements may become heated, but
personal attacks and insults are not allowed on the list.  Think of this list
as the departmental lounge rather than the lecture hall, or the hallways at a
conference rather than the auditorium where the speakers are presenting papers.
If you have a problem with the manner in which a list member expresses himself
or herself, take it up with the author, not with the moderator or on the list.

HTML messages, and binary files of whatever size, will not be posted to the
list.

It is preferable that non-ASCII characters be MIME-encoded, because the system
on which the list resides is not capable of dealing with 8-bit character sets.

I hope this list will meet everyone's expectations.

								Rich Alderson
								List owner and
								moderator