words specific to Saamic / Finnish and Germanic

Kastytis Beitas kastytis.beitas at gf.vu.lt
Fri Feb 2 07:20:10 UTC 2001

At 08:37 23.01.2001 +0000, Anthony Appleyard wrote:

>  On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Rick Mc Callister wrote:
>>       Does any of this substrate overlap with the so-called "Baltic"
>> substrate in Germanic; i.e. words of non-IE, non-Uralic origin such as
>> ship, sea, seal (animal), etc.?

>English "ship", Germanic "skip-", seems to have a relative in Greek:
>{skaphos}.
>Also, Greek {skapto:} = "I dig"; the connection is likely via dugout canoes
>(made by hollowing out a big single log).

In Chambers Dict.of Etymology (1988):
"Old English (before 800) scip "ship, boat" <...>, MHG schip, schep <...>,
Gothic skip, from Proto-Germanic *skipan. The further origins of this word
are uncertain; it has been conjuctured that an original meaning of
hollowed-out canoe would ultimately derive from Indo-European *skei- "to
cut, divide", and for instances of a b- formant comparison can be made to
Lithuanian skiebti "rip, rip apart" <...> from Indo-European *skei-b/ski-b
<...>"

I can add additionally:

Lithuanian skaptuoti "to dug out; to hollow with a sharp instrument".
Russian shchepa "chip; shave; slip", ras-shchepit' "to break up; to split"
Lithuanian:
shapas "small organic debris; litter", shapenti "to nibble grass" <-->
zhabas "switch, long dry branch"
skiepti "to widen, to spread, to part; to cleave, to split"
skiepyti "to graft".

>   Ante Aikio <anaikio at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote on Mon 6 Nov 2000 at
>18:44:37 +0200 (Subject: Re: Pre-PIE as a PIE substrate?):-

>> However, there are lexical correspondences between western Uralic and
>> Germanic which have no further etymologies in either language family, e.g.
>> Germ. *saiwa- ~ Samic *saajvЙ 'fresh water',
>> Finnic *kauka- 'long' ~ Germ. *hauha- 'high',

And Lithuanian aukshtas "high", augti "to grow"...

                                 Kastytis Beitas
**********************************
Kastytis Beitas
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Vilnius University
Ciurlionio 21
Vilnius 2009, Lithuania