Thoughts On The Lemnos Stele

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Thu Feb 8 05:05:49 UTC 2001

> Clearly this ["naphoth"] is a Semitic word, and not Indo-European.

        I certainly hope I have mis-understood what you are trying to say.
There is no reason that the same or similar words cannot exist in different
languages, with totally unrelated meanings.  From what you say, it seems
that the meaning of the word is or was something like 'ridge' (which would
catch both 'mountain' and 'border'), but there is no reason to connect such
a word with a word meaning 'nephew' or 'grandson', regardless of similarity
in sound.

Dr. David L. White