cat < ?

proto-language proto-language at email.msn.com
Thu Feb 8 04:04:15 UTC 2001

Dear Gabor and IEists:

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gabor Sandi
  Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 2:55 PM

  <snip>

  Pursuing the matter, I checked in Burrow & Emeneau's Dravidian Etymological
  Dictionary (DED), which has about eight root-sets with "cat" words in them.
  Item 4520 looks - at least to a naive observer - as a possible indication of
  Dravidian substratum origin: Tamil veruku 'tom-, wild-cat', Kannada berku,
  bekku 'cat'.

[PR]

You might be interested in knowing that at Sergei Starostin's website:

  http://iiasnt.leidenuniv.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?flags=eygnnnl

has Proto-Dravidian *bil-, 'cat',

which I would compare to an IE 8. *wel-, 'catch' (Greek hali'skomai); also
seen, perhaps, in Greek aie'louros, 'tom-cat'.

Pat

  PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com
  (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA
  WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE: http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/
  and PROTO-RELIGION:
  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html

  "Veit ec at ec hecc, vindgá meiði a netr allar nío,
  geiri vndaþr . . . a þeim meiþi, er mangi veit,
  hvers hann af rótom renn." (Hávamál 138)