txakur/dzhagaru/cachorro....

David Sanchez davius_sanctex at terra.es
Thu Feb 8 02:21:45 UTC 2001

[ Moderator's note:
  David Sanchez is responding to text quoted from a posting by Kreso Megyeral
  originally dated 18 Jan 2001.
  --rma ]

>> In one Spanish grammar written in Croatian I found that there are still
>> some words in Spanish considered neuter (of course, not "leche") that
>> express collectives or some young animals. The article quoted is LO. Is it
>> indeed, or is it some interpretation of the author?

Certain neologisms seems to be genuinely neuter gender terms. For example,
the term <internet> is very resistent to gender assignement:

1. Spanish speakers avoid expressions with article like <el internet> / <la
internet>, the form without ariticle is preferred in all contexts (this is
very unusual for a noun in Spanish).

2. Spanish speakers fluctuate in using feminine or masculine adjectives:
<internet es divertido> and <internet es divertida> are both common (this is
also very very unsual for a noun in Spanish).

this seems to indicate that the term <internet> is not definitively adscribed
to none gender!