Greeks by way of Anatolia?

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Thu Feb 8 04:21:20 UTC 2001

     The only thing I can think of, probably not exactly what you had in
mind, is that reconstructions of what the Myceneans (or rather their nobles)
looked like, on the basis of skulls, show them looking like they should be
named "Slobodan".  In other words, their appearance is definitely Balkan, or
at least central/north European, as opposed to south-European/Mediterranean.
Where Anatolia falls in such schemes is not clear, but it is my impression
1) that the population of Anatolia has not been subject to great external
influences, and 2) that they bear no particular resemblance to the Balkan
type.
        I am pretty sure that there are many other objections to the idea
that the pre-Greeks passed through Anatolia, though none occur to me at the
moment.

Dr. David L. White