Suffixal -sk-

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Sat Feb 10 10:57:26 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:21:24 +0100 (MET), Jens Elmegaard Rasmussen
<jer at cphling.dk> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Alberto Lombardo wrote:

>> I'd like just add that the suffix -asko is the more typical
>> locative Ligurian suffix; it seems to have had IE links.
>> The meaning must have been "high, elevated place".

>Could you elaborate on the semantic assessment? If it is the suffix of
>Italian bergamasco "from Bergamo", I find it hard to see that the
>adjective is any higher or more elevated than the base-word
>itself.

>Could anyone tell us if Bask has a suffix of geographical of ethnic
>belonging containing /-sk-/? If so, could we have a few clear examples?

There is a suffix -(e)zko, but that is a compound of the instrumental
ending -z and the "relational" particle -ko (used i.a. to make
adjectives out of adverbial phrases).  So for instance: <oin> "foot",
<oinez> "by foot", <oinezko> "pedestrian".

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl