Greeks by way of Anatolia?

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Sun Feb 11 08:33:26 UTC 2001

In a message dated 2/11/2001 12:10:47 AM, dlwhite at texas.net writes:

<< In other words, their appearance is definitely Balkan, or at least
central/north European, as opposed to south-European/Mediterranean.  Where
Anatolia falls in such schemes is not clear, but it is my impression 1) that
the population of Anatolia has not been subject to great external influences,
and 2) that they bear no particular resemblance to the Balkan type.

        I am pretty sure that there are many other objections to the idea
that the pre-Greeks passed through Anatolia, though none occur to me at the
moment. >>

It is should be pointed out that in fact the anthropological evidence
regarding the bronze age inhabitants of Greece or Anatolia is hardly clear.

On the other hand, there is a good deal of evidence that there was a
substantial transfer of material culture from southern Anatolia and the
Cyclades into mainland Greece well before 1350BC.  Whether this was due to
major migrations or not, these transfers represent the most pervasive outside
influence on early Mycenaean material culture, much more so than even Cretan.
 As far as the statement that the "population of Anatolia has not been
subject to great external influences," I'm not sure what this could be based
on.   There is however a rather clear indication of early settlement from the
east and southeast in eastern Anatolia.  And pretty good evidence of
extensive trade routes existing throughout Anatolia thousands of years before
the time of the Mycenaeans.

Regards,
Steve Long