Thoughts On The Lemnos Stele

Brent J. Ermlick brent at bermls.oau.org
Sun Feb 11 13:56:55 UTC 2001

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 07:18:53PM +0100, Eduard Selleslagh wrote:
	. . .
> There are, however, a number of peculiarities about the ancient Jews that
> distinguish them from other Semitic people: e.g. the legend of Noah's ark
> stranded on Mount Ararat (a very high volcano in Turkish Armenia, 1300 km
> from Jerusalem, the only mountain in the region with snow during the summer),
> which

I've heard (but don't have the reference at hand) that the Biblical
name Ararat was assigned to this mountain during historical times,
IIRC after the Christianization of Armenia.

> seems to suggest some cultural relationship with E. Anatolia (the actual,
> archaeologically attested great flood happened in the plains around the Black
> Sea and is reflected in other peoples' legends in other versions). They are
> also the only ones to use the word Yahwe for God, besides the "normal"
> Semitic

But Yahweh doesn't mean "god", but is rather the name of God.
Compare the name "Yah" in the Eblaite mythology.

--
Brent J. Ermlick		Veritas liberabit uos
brent at bermls.oau.org