Thoughts On The Lemnos Stele

Ernest P. Moyer epmoyer at netrax.net
Sun Feb 18 11:27:19 UTC 2001

Brent:

I find Y'hawa in the Hebrew Pi'el verb table under Hawa = Form or Mold.
Literally, Y'hawa = "He shall Mold."  Future tense. Some people believe this is
the origin of the Hebrew name for God.

This form should be distinguished from Hawa = "He Molded." Past Tense.

In fact, the two forms, "El," common as a designator for God among the
northwest Semitic tribes, and "Howa," the Kal verb "to be," when coalesced,
become Elhowa, and this form is dangerously close to Eloah, the Biblical name
for God. (El Howa = "God Exists.")  Of course most the time Elhoim, the plural,
is used in the text.

So I am very distrustful of a supposed origin which sees the Hebrew name for
God as some primitive superstitious designation deriving out of mere sounds,
such as "Yah."

Ernest