*gwh in Gmc.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Fri Feb 23 00:18:37 UTC 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:17:38 +0100, "Mate Kapovif"
<jozo.kapovic at zg.tel.hr> wrote:

>Although I'm against the idea of PIE *pw and I agre that <<labialized
>labials are disfavored for
>fairly obvious phonetic reasons<<
>I must say that in fact there are some lg.s which have labialized labials.
>I'm not aware of any pw-s but one of Austronesic lgs - Gilbertese is
>supposed to have bw and mw. So, I guess anything's possible.

Ladefoged and Maddieson (The Sounds of the World's Languages, p. 356):

"Labialization.  The addition of a lip rounding gesture is referred to
as labialization.  It may occur even when the primary articulation is
made at the lips. [...some languages limit labialization to
velars/uvulars...] Other languages, including certain Australian and
Caucasian languages, permit labialization of a much wider range of
consonants, including those whose primary place of articulation is
labial.  Examples from Arrernte are given in table 10.10 [which
includes bilabial labialized /pw/, /mw/, (prestopped nasal) /pmw/,
(prenasalized stop) /mpw/]"

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl