Philistines as Sea Peoples, Etc.

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Wed Feb 21 14:43:59 UTC 2001

> It is my understanding that the "Etruscans" and their contemporaries called
> them Ratsenna.  Isn't application of the name "Etruria" from outside, and
> later, and hence not evidence for the supposed correlation with
> Turshas/Teresh?

> Ernest Moyer

        The evidence is from the outside, but the name is probably from the
inside, having later been displaced by "Rasna", etc.  The fact that it
occurs with "th" in some Greek and with "t" in other Greek shows that it
came from a language with aspiration, which Etruscan had, and that the
borrowing with "t" was through some intermediary without aspiration,
probably Egyptian or Carthaginian.

Dr. David L. White