sieve

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Fri Feb 23 01:20:20 UTC 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:14:48 -0500, Rick Mc Callister
<rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu> wrote:

>	I'm not sure whether or not you're saying that *seip-/*seib- is limited
>to only Germanic and Tokharian. In researching Spanish jabo/n "soap" and
>sabia "sap", I found a mish-mash of leads --including possible cognates
>in Anatolian, Celtic, Greek & Illyrian.
>	My apologies if I misunderstood you.

Pokorny gives mainly Germanic and Tocharian forms (but also Serbian
sipiti "drizzle" and maybe Latin se:bum).  I didn't look into it
further in any detail (the Latin and Romance words for "soap" are
mentioned, but as loans from Germanic).

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl