Goths, Naming and Ablaut

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Sat Feb 24 14:31:08 UTC 2001

> So might it be possible that Gmc. */au/ had already become /o:/ in Ulfila's
> time, and that Latin _Gothi_ represents *_Gauta- _?

        Yes.  I thought I mentioned that possibility, though I am not at all
sure it is viable.
        But if Gothic /au/ changed first to /oo/ and then to /o/, that could
explain why "au" is used to spell what appears to be /o/ in Gothic, just as
"oo" is used to spell /u/ in modern English.  Otherwise, using "au" to spell
/o/ (and "ai" to spell /e/) is more than a bit odd.  The problem (not a
serious one) is that the spelling conservativism posited would have to have
applied across the changeover from runic to "Ulfilic", as the changes in
question must significantly predate Ulfilas.  In other words, the spelling
system of Ulfilas would be to some extent a transliteration from a runic
system in which the use of "au" to spell /o/ had already become sanctioned
by tradition.  My vague recollection is that the few bits of runic Gothic
say nothing on relevant points.

Dr. David L. White