figurative typology

Stephanie Ball figlex at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 22:23:22 UTC 2001

[ Moderator's note:
  I have left off our customary Reply-To: which directs replies to the list.
  Please respond directly to Ms. Ball, whom I encourage to post her results
  to the Nostratic mailing list.

  My apologies to those who receive a duplicate of this message on the
  Nostratic list.  I can't think of any way to avoid that.
  --rma ]

Fellow Linguists,

I am a fourth year honours student studying linguistics at the University
of Alberta (Canada).  For my thesis, I'm conducting a typological study of
the way in which terms for minor body and bodily effluvia are lexicalized,
expanding on the work done by David Wilkins (1996) in similar semantic
domains.  I am especially interested in which terms have a monomorphemic or
literal gloss and which are multimorphemic and/or figurative. If you are a
native speaker of a language other than English or have access to such a
person, or if you have lexical information for these forms, would you mind
taking the time to complete my lists with forms specific to your language
(this would involve supplying 36 forms and glosses)?  I need both the form
and the literal gloss, if there is one. If you would like to also provide a
morphological parse or additional comments, these would be greatly
appreciated as well. Please print out the lists below, download them from my
website ( www.ualberta.ca/~sball ), or contact me by email to request a copy
directly (sball at ualberta.ca); then email, fax, or send me your completed
lists by March 10th, 2001 (my thesis is due March 31st).  If you are
interested in more information about my project, I would be happy to send it
to you. I will post my results in April or May; please check my website for
details.  Thank-you for your time and consideration!

						Stephanie Ball
						Department of Linguistics
						University of Alberta
						Edmonton, AB T6G 2E7