Etruscans (was: minimal pairs)

Stanley Friesen sarima at friesen.net
Sun Jan 7 02:37:17 UTC 2001

At 08:18 PM 1/4/01 +0100, Eduard Selleslagh wrote:
>... different alphabet and the phonetic evolution during several centuries of
>separation (the date of arrival of the Etruscan's forefathers is rather
>unclear: the estimates vary from the 13th to the 6th c. B.C. But they seem to
>have arrived after the Umbrians had already established themselves in the
>later
>Etruria: the river now called Ombrone seems to bear their name). Example: Etr.
><auils> - Lemn. <awidz> (probably meaning 'year(s)').

Hmm, is there any other evidence for the Umbrians preceding the Etruscans
in Etruria?  If this is really what happened it tends to remove the main
objections to the Villanova Culture being associated with Italic speakers.

[It also fits with my ideas about the origin of the italic peoples: if I am
right than the earlier dates for the arrival of the Etruscans would also be
ruled out, leaving circa 8th to 6th c. B.C.].

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at ix.netcom.com