dulcis/lac?

Sat Jan 13 20:46:48 UTC 2001

	I remember seeing something like that bruited about and rejected
for whatever reason --too long? too complex?
	It may have been in a post by Alexis Manaster Ramer, I'm not sure
	If [something like] *dlak- were indeed possible
I'm wondering
	1. If there were a possibility of a semantic link to Buck's
proposed *dluk- [if it is indeed valid] based on "sweet, sweetness, sweet
liquid"
	2. If this works, then if milk might not spring a type of calque
based on *mel- "honey" > *mlak-, *melgh-, etc. meaning something like
"sweet, sweet liquid, honeyed, honey liquid"
	I believe there are proposed Nostratic roots for "milk" & "honey"
based on [off the top of my head] something like *ml-, *mlk-/mlgh-; so such
a connection would not necessarily upset the Nostratic apple cart --but
that's something we can discuss on FM :>

>> 	I noticed that Buck [among others] suggests
>> Latin dulcis & Greek gluku/s < *dluk-
>> 	I'm wondering if there's any possibility of
>> Latin lac, lact- & Greek gala, galakt- < *dlak-
>> 	I've also seen Latin loquor linked to [something like] Gaelic tlu-,
>> and English talk

>OTOH, *gmlkt has the advantage of, with suitable snippage,
>giving also the Germanic form...

>--And.

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634