IE 'wolf'

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Sun Jan 14 14:58:01 UTC 2001

> What are to make of Gaulish Louernios (*loup-ern-io), "fox," which may stem
> from the same root as Indic lopasa, Avestan raopi ? These words are related
> to Latin lupus in Pokorny.

> -Chris Gwinn

        I supose that the 'wolf' and 'fox' words are ultimately splits from
a single word, and that both were subject to tabu deformation.
        Re-stating, hopefully more clearly, what I originally said, it
appears that we have 1) a variation between /lu/ and /wl/, and 2) a
variation between /k(w)/ and /p/.   All four possibilities are found meaning
'wolf' in some IE language.    I hope this attempt at a table makes it.  It
probably won't ...

                                          /lu/        /wl/
                            /k(w)/   luka       vlka
                                /p/    lupo      wolf

        These variations do not, as far as I know, seem to be due to
sound-change or borrowing, as they are not generally characteristic of the
various branches in question.  The first part, /lu/ or /wl/, may well be
relatable by sound-symbolism to various words for 'howl' (which itself is,
or was, an example), or 'be destroyed' (Greek 'olumi'), or the sound made by
modern Middle Eastern women at funerals and what not.

Dr. David L. White