Etruscans (was: minimal pairs)

Douglas G Kilday acnasvers at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 21 06:30:22 UTC 2001

Pat Ryan (6 Jan 2001) wrote:

>Could you tell me the source for the opinion that Roma is derived from
>Etruscan Ruma? And what is it supposed to mean?

This opinion is brought to you by the
"can't-find-plausible-IE-cognates-so-it-must-be-Etruscan" school of Latin
etymology.

The Etruscan form Ruma is inferred from Cneve Tarchunies Rumach (equiv. to
Lat. Gnaeus Tarquinius Romanus), slain by the Vulcentine warrior Marce
Camitlnas as depicted in paintings from the "Francois" tomb of Vel Saties
(TLE 297-300; CIE 5266-75). There is also a gentilicium Rumate/Rumathe (CIE
1944,4883,4885) meaning 'from Rome'.

Ruma is most likely an adaptation of Roma, not the other way around.
Etruscan does not distinguish /o:u/ and generally uses U to replace O in
borrowed roots. On the other hand when native Etruscan names having U before
a single consonant in the root are borrowed into Latin, the U is retained
(e.g. Spurinna, Fusios/Furius). Hence if Ruma were Etruscan in origin, one
would expect Latin Ruma as well. The name Roma probably predates Etruscan
influence in the area and comes from some other source.

The most plausible conjecture for the meaning of Roma is 'ford, crossing',
since it was the most practical site for traffic between Etruria and Latium
to cross the Tiber. 'Bridge' is out, as there was no bridge here before the
Pons Sublicius, and there is no evidence that the city's name was changed
when the bridge was built.

DGK