Origin of Cats

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Tue Jan 16 03:33:07 UTC 2001

> Do domestic cats only descend from North African cats? Or did they
> also interbreed with various species of small local wildcats?

        Not various species, as 1) the African wildcat, 2) the European
wildcat, and 3) the domestic cat are all these days considered sub-species
of a single species. A little genetic inflow from European wild cats would,
I think, have been virtually inevitable, though perhaps there is something
in the genetic information supplied by others that contradicts this.

Dr. David L. White