words specific to Saamic / Finnish and Germanic

Anthony Appleyard mclssaa2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
Tue Jan 23 08:37:37 UTC 2001

 On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Rick Mc Callister wrote:
 >       Does any of this substrate overlap with the so-called "Baltic"
 > substrate in Germanic; i.e. words of non-IE, non-Uralic origin such as
 > ship, sea, seal (animal), etc.?

English "ship", Germanic "skip-", seems to have a relative in Greek: {skaphos}.
Also, Greek {skapto:} = "I dig"; the connection is likely via dugout canoes
(made by hollowing out a big single log).

  Ante Aikio <anaikio at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote on Mon 6 Nov 2000 at
18:44:37 +0200 (Subject: Re: Pre-PIE as a PIE substrate?):-

> However, there are lexical correspondences between western Uralic and
> Germanic which have no further etymologies in either language family, e.g.
> Germ. *saiwa- ~ Samic *saajvê 'fresh water',
> Finnic *kauka- 'long' ~ Germ. *hauha- 'high',
> Germ. *ailda- 'fire' ~ Samic *aaltê-nkê-ssê 'lightning'. ...

Please where can I get a complete list of these "Germanic and Finno-Ugrian
only" words?

Someone on Gothic-L says that archaeology which is a lineal ancestor of modern
Saamic (= Lappish) has been found as far south as Hamburg in Germany. If this
means that an ancestor of Saamic was once spoken in all Scandinavia and Denmark
and well into Schleswig-Holstein, then Germanic could have started as IE spoken
with a Saami accent even if it developed south of the Baltic Sea.