cat < ?

Thu Jan 25 17:58:28 UTC 2001

[snip]

>The tail idea also occurs in <skiouros> squirrel, interpreted as
>'shadow-tail.'   But the shadow part <skio-) doesn't seem to make a lot of
>sense.  (Perhaps, <skiros>, sometimes land overgrown with bushes, scrub.)

	If they look like American squirrels, their long thick tails shade
them like umbrellas --but I admit that I'm getting into folk etymology.
	"Scrub tail, brush tail, bushy tail" describe squirrels even better
--that is, if skiros + ouros actually means that in Greek

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women
Columbus MS 39701