About the Yew1

Rich Alderson ALDERSON at toad.xkl.com
Tue Jul 3 00:35:27 UTC 2001

> In a message dated 6/27/2001 9:20:37 PM, acnasvers at hotmail.com writes:

Actually,

	Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:30:38 -0000

>> The word I cited, <smi:lax>, is an epithet of several diverse plants. As you
>> suggest, the most plausible connection is with <smi:le:> 'type of knife',
>> and the epithet probably means 'having knife-like leaves', since vines and
>> weeds are hardly suitable for carving.

> If I came to a similar conclusion about a linguistic matter, the moderator
> would bite my head off.

The moderator objects to this.

As moderator, I do not react to any post, no matter how contrary to my own way
of thinking as a linguist, so long as it bears some passing resemblance to the
general area of discussion of the list and is not simmply arrant nonsense.
While I happen to think that Mr. Long is wrong in a number of his conclusions,
I continue to send out his posts just as I do those I agree with.

								Rich Alderson
								IE list owner
								and moderator