Genetic Descent

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 1 19:04:06 UTC 2001

>>> what I am asserting is that the morphemes used in conjugation are
>>> very resistant to borrowing.  ...

>> The highly productive English morpheme -ess ...

> is <-ess> used in conjugation?

Oh, you mean "conjugation" as in the verb patterns of Latin and other IE
inflected languages?   Then you cannot assert your statement as something
true of all languages, only of those which show Latin-like conjugation.
Which ultimately means IE.   Which means your assertion can simply be tested
empirically against the actual evidence.  So it reduces to "there are few,
if any, cases of verbal suffix morphemes being borrowed within IE
languages."

OK, I'll grant you that.

Peter