Proto-Celtic & Proto-Fenno-Ugric in Herodotus and C. Ptolemy

DFOKeefe at aol.com DFOKeefe at aol.com
Mon Jul 2 22:10:02 UTC 2001

 Hello I.E. List,

          In PROTO-CELTIC - AN EXPLORATION: CELTIC ICM AND Q/P WORDS AS A
FUNCTION OF IE ROOTS we mentioned a possible connection with the Fenno-Ugric
languages and some of their consonantal change characteristics.  Research
indicates that there was some shared geographical areas in Central Europe
between Celts and Hungarians in prehistoric times.

          I have written a very brief paper, ANCIENT AND MODERN HUNGARIAN
PLACE NAMES, F.-U. CONSONANTAL ASSIMILATION / GRADATION AND A POSSIBLE CELTIC
I.C.M. CONNECTION, which I have placed in Section XII. of our web site
http://hometown.aol.com/dfokeefe/page1.html
While this very brief paper is not meant to be profound, it does get the
point over that Hungarians have been in Central Europe since very early
times.  They appear to have been quite close to the Celtic peoples.
Consequently they could have influenced each other culturally and
linguistically.  Also, if the Hungarians were in Central Europe in
prehistoric times, then this might better explain the settlement of the
Baltic region better than assuming that the Finns and Estonians went directly
up to their present areas via Central and Western Russia.

          I am not interested in which ethnic / linguistic group went first.
It seems from Pittman and Ryan that most IE-FU people appear to be about
7,000 years old.

Regards,
David O'Keefe
Houston, Texas