The Single Parent Question

proto-language proto-language at email.msn.com
Thu Jul 5 21:55:41 UTC 2001

Dear Joat and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: <JoatSimeon at aol.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2001 10:58 PM

> In a message dated 6/30/01 8:35:12 PM Mountain Daylight Time, X99Lynx at aol.com
> writes:

>> This won't help you here.  I won't ask if you've ever argued a science case
>> in Federal Court or ever did plasma analysis or worked on neural systems or
>> did any high-order economic analysis.  You've claimed an extremely high
>> level of certainty with regard to the reconstruction of proto-languages.
>> I'm looking at the scientific validity of that claim.

[JS]

> -- no, you aren't, because you don't have the knowledge-base to do so.

[PCR]

I do not subscribe to much of what Steve writes either but I do believe he is
asking pertinent question.

This type of snobbish response is not at all helpful. Steve is not suggesting
for one moment that he has the training in IE linguistics of many on this list.
He is questioning the methodology used based on his familiarity with it in
other disciplines.

Linguistics should be done with the same, generally recognized scientific
methodology as other sciences --- whenever that is possible.

I find this totally unobjectionable.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ec
at ec hecc, vindgá meiði a netr allar nío, geiri vndaþr . . . a þeim
meiþi, er mangi veit, hvers hann af rótom renn." (Hávamál 138)