diction and contradiction

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Tue Jul 3 06:18:28 UTC 2001

X99Lynx at aol.com wrote:
> I'm reminded of the Monte Python skit.
> Eric Idle:  You're not arguing.  You're just being contrary.
> John Cleese:  [pause, thinking]  No-I'm-not.

>>From <The Complete MPFC: All the Words> vol.2 pp 86-89:

Man [Michael Palin]:  Look this isn't an argument.
Mr Vibrating [John Cleese]:  Yes it is.
Man:           No it isn't, it's just contradiction.
Mr Vibrating:  No it isn't.
	[...]
Man:           Oh, look this is futile.
Mr Vibrating:  No it isn't.
Man:           I came here for a good argument.
Mr Vibrating:  No you didn't, you came here for an argument.
Man:           Well, an argument's not the same as contradiction.
Mr Vibrating:  [pause?] It can be.
	[...]

Slightly closer to topic, why is Italy called <Olaszorsza:g> in
Hungarian?  (I was in Urbana yesterday, popped in to the Slavic & East
European department of the university library, where I once had a job;
and happened to see there a Hungarian map of Europe.)

--
Anton Sherwood  --  br0nt0 at p0b0x.com  --  http://ogre.nu/