The Iceman's Berries

Stanley Friesen sarima at friesen.net
Fri Jul 6 02:28:31 UTC 2001

At 01:29 AM 7/1/01 -0400, JoatSimeon at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 6/30/01 5:55:48 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
>sarima at friesen.net writes:

>> Unless the Hittite form belongs here, I would not reconstruct this word to
>> PIE.  It looks more like a European word, like many other words shared only
>> between Slavic, Germanic and Celtic.

>-- I'd say a late dialect term in the north and center of the PIE world.

Certainly.

I have some hypotheses about the nature of many of the late dialect terms
of the north (and sometimes center), but those do not at present have a
very sure footing.  However, I would tend to place this term in with the
others of like distribution, and thus I *guess* it may have been borrowed
from some pre-IE language family of the north or Europe.

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at friesen.net