lupo cervino, loup-cervier....

eleonora litta redux7 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:39:23 UTC 2001

Hi everyone,
in a XIV century Italian manuscript I have found this animal, apparently a
lynx, which would symbolise the ability to judge distances, time, speed...
(the manuscript is about fighting techniques, BTW). only this animal is
called lupo cervino, which in italian would mean 'deer-wolf'. At the
beginning I thought it was for the lynxs fur, spotted like the deer one,
then a French guy told me that in France they have this loup-cervier, which
is a big lynx who hunts deers, so I reconsidered my position. They also told
me in a Spanish name for the lynx being lobo cerval.
I have to find out which is the truth about all this. do you know something
about the ancient names for 'lynx' in the IE languages, and about their
evolution?

Thank you for your help

Eleonora Litta